Updated March 26, 2013: Status – Closed. We are no longer accepting applications for this position.
Position: Assistant Curator
Wolf Park is seeking a motivated, personable Assistant Curator. Wolf Park is a nonprofit facility with socialized captive wolves based in the Greater Lafayette, Indiana area focused on research, education and conservation. The Assistant Curator will work directly under and very closely with the Head Animal Curator, who has been with Wolf Park for over 38 years, and is an expert in captive wolf management. This is a salaried, full time, year-round position. Weekend, evening and holiday hours are often required.
Wolf Park is a small, but growing facility. We recently added a new conference center and a new 1.5 acre enclosure to house another large pack of wolves. Because of our small size, the Assistant Curator will be involved in all levels of animal care – from enclosure cleaning to puppy socialization to assisting prep animals for surgery. Our wolves are highly socialized. The Assistant Curator’s role is to help maintain this level of socialization and ensure that Wolf Park’s high standard of care for our animals is met. This includes entering the wolves’ enclosures on a regular basis, providing daily rounds of medication for the animals, and providing recommendations to the Head Animal Curator on animal care, including end of life decisions. Building a relationship with each of our wolves is critical.
Excellent written and verbal communication skills are a must, as this position provides educational programming to the public including guided tours of the facility, seminars and other types of presentations. The Assistant Curator also interfaces with the local media frequently, including conducting television interviews, and writes articles for our quarterly newsletter. The position helps educate resident Interns and supervises Interns, volunteers and the general public during wolf interactions. In addition, the Assistant Curator provides technical assistance to visiting behavioral researchers, sometime hands on, and other times by providing background information on our individual animals.
Battle Ground, Indiana is a small town located just outside of the greater Lafayette area, home of Purdue University. Lafayette is a mid-sized city with lots of amenities including a variety of restaurants, a historic downtown district and many festivals and events. Wolf Park is situated right off I-65, an hour away from Indianapolis and two hours from Chicago.
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field required.
- Experience working with captive exotic animals required. Experience working with large carnivores preferred. Experience working with wolves ideal.
- Experience in field research ideal. Must have good observation and listening skills.
- Working knowledge of general computer software programs (Word, Excel, Outlook, data entry, etc.) required.
- Experience working with the general public required.
Other Requirements/Working Conditions:
- Moderate physical exertion on a daily basis.
- Must be able to routinely lift and carry 50 lbs. for short distances. Must be able to assist in transporting sedated wolves (up to 125 lbs.)
- Physical ability to conduct basic habitat maintenance required.
- Candidates must hold a valid driver’s license and meet Wolf Park’s motor vehicle operating standards as duties include driving our vehicles.
- Considerable work will be conducted outdoors in extreme weather conditions.
- Potential exists for animal bites, scratches and other injuries, which may not be trivial.
- There will be exposure to unpleasant odors, animal waste, animal tissues and body fluids and zoonotic disease.
- Must be current on or willing to become current on required vaccines.
Qualified candidates are invited to send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com, or to Wolf Park c/o Elizabeth Rose 4004 E. 800 N, Battle Ground, IN, 47920. No phone calls please. Wolf Park is an Equal Opportunity Employer.